[Unit Project 2] Hot Pot

How to make pot-au-feu 

Pot-au-feu is French cuisine. Pot-au-feu means a pot heated in French, and a kind of home cooking in France. In Japan, it is made by putting large pieces of vegetables and sausages in a pot and simmering them in consommé soup. In France, it is also made with vegetables and slowly simmered in a pot, however the meat differs greatly in that whole chunks of beef are used.

When it gets cold, my mother makes it for me every year. The pot-au-feu my mother makes includes not only vegetables and sausages but also meat, and sometimes cabbage rolls. I'm able to get nutrition by eating it because it contains a lot of ingredients such as vegetables and meat. When I was a child, I sometimes watched my mother make it next to her. I have loved the dish since I was a child, so I will share the recipe.


You will need

  • Kitchin knife
  • Cutting board
  • Bowl
  • Fring pan
  • Pot for 400 ml
  • Chopstick

 

Ingredients

This recipe yields 2 servings.

  • Water 400ml
  • Water to soak the potatoes
  • One potato
  • 1/4 onion
  • Half of carrot
  • 1/8 cabbage
  • 6 sausages
  • Pork belly 100g
  • Consommé powder 2 tea spoons
  • 1.5 pinches of salt and pepper

Procedures

1.      First, peel the potato, remove the sprouts, cut into 8 equal pieces with the kitchen knife, and add enough water to the bowl to soak the potatoes, then soak the cut potatoes in the water for 10 minutes to prevent discoloration and remove the scum of the potatoes.



2.      While the potatoes are soaking in the water, cut the cabbage into 6 cm cubes, and cut the onion into wedges, and cut the carrot into large chunks with the kitchen knife on the cutting board.


3.      After that, add the consommé powder, water, the cut vegetables from step 2, and remove the soak potatoes from water in step 1, and add them in the pot.


4.      Bring to a boil over medium heat, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes to get soft them.


5.       While the vegetables are boiling, cut the pork belly into 1 cm length, and fry up them on high heat until golden brown.


6.      Next, add the sausages, and the pan-fried pork from step 5 into the pot, and simmer for 5 minutes.



7.      When the vegetables are soft, adjust the taste with salt and pepper. Finally, the pot-au-feu is ready for serving.




It is better to add the vegetables and meat you like. I recommend adding the cabbage rolls instead of cabbage in step 2.

This time, I tell the recipe of pot-au-feu that is known well in Japan. If you know how to cook the authentic French pot-au-feu, please try to search it and cook it.


This is video to show how to make pot-au-feu.

Please try playing it !!


コメント

  1. Your pot-au-feu looks so delicious! I was very surprised because I don't grill the meat in my pot-au-feu. I want to try it!

    返信削除
  2. Hi! I'm Mii in I Class. I think your pot-au-feu is good with a lot of ingredients. I'd like to made the pot-au-feu with your recipe and get warm this winter with eating it!

    返信削除
  3. I have never eat the French pot-au-feu, but I was interested it after watching your video. And The grilled meat looks delicious, so I want to eat it!

    返信削除

コメントを投稿

このブログの人気の投稿

Nao's self introduction

This week's foods

Flower